Explore the possibilities when teachers and students use iPads for teaching and learning!
August 19, 2013
- 8:00-9:30 Introductions, Polls, Funny Movies, Edmodo
- 9:45-10:00 Break
- 10:00-12:00 Collages, Comics, Animations, Narrations
- 12:00-1:00 Lunch
- 1:00-2:15 Centers, Graphic Organizers, Quizzing
- 2:15-2:30 Break
- 2:30-3:30 iPad as Teacher's Pet, Reflecting
- Get a free account at PollEverywhere.com
- Unlimited number of polls.
- Each poll is limited to 40 responses.
- Multiple choice and open-ended questions
- Scan QR codes with i-nigma app
- QR Code Quote Posters
- QR Resource Posters
- Create QR codes at goqr.me or qrcode.kaywa.com
- QR Code Sticker Printer ($65)
- 75 Ways to Say Good Job QR Code Enabled Poster
- Tony Vincent's video about QR codes
- Funny Movie Maker is free. Pick a photo and then record your lips speaker. Your lips are placed on top of your photo.
- Make talking pictures on a laptop using blabberize.com or voki.com.
Take a screenshot by quickly pressing and releasing the Home and Sleep buttons at the same time. Screenshots are saved in the Camera Roll in the Photos app.
- Touch and hold certain keys to access hidden characters. For example, touch and hold the 0 key to see a degree symbol. Touch and hold the ! key to see an apostrophe.
- Pull the keyboard apart to split it into two. Now you can hold iPad while typing with your thumbs.
- Double-tap the spacebar at the end of sentence to insert a period, a space, and to activate the shift button.
- Tap the spacebar with two, three, four, or five fingers at once to type that many spaces at once.
- Shake your device to see the Undo button.
- Comic Maker is a free app. You can make multi-panel comics.
- Make one-photo comics for free with Comic Touch Lite.
- Pic Collage app is great for combining images and text.
- You can collage images using Bump and combine images into a PDF using Bindle.Here how.
- Easily collect text, images, videos, and web links into one digital wall.
- Read or watch lots more about online sticky note walls in Tony's video.
- Puppet Pals HD is free, but you might want the Directors Pass for $2.99 so that you can use your own images as puppets and backgrounds.
- Tellagmi is free. Select a background and then make an avatar speak in front of it. Limited to 30 seconds. To make a longer video or to change backgrounds in the same video, make a series of Tellagami videos and stitch them together using the Splice app.
- Make simply and beautiful slideshows with Haiku Deck.
- To save Haiku Deck as a series of images, play the slideshow and take a screenshot of each slide.
- Import images into 30hands where you can record audio for a series of images. Export as a movie to the Camera Roll.
- See our narrations about classroom rules and reminders on this Padlet.
- How to take a screenshot
- Save images in Safari by touching and holding the image. Tap the Save button that appears. The image is saved into your Camera Roll/Photo Library/Photos App.
- Zoom the screen
- Turn on Speak Text in Settings > General > Accessibility
- Guided Access locks iPad into one app
- AirServer for Mac or PC to wirelessly mirror iPad's screen to a computer
- Zwipes microfiber clothes for clearing fingerprints from the screen
- 3 pack of styluses for $1.20 with free shipping
- Apps and QR codes can make for great centers. Record instructions or examples as video or audio and link to those with a QR codes.
- Centers today are for primary teachers. Here is the PDF with the task cards for the centers.
- Free PDF graphic organizers
- Open PDFs in Adobe Reader. Share through email. Flatten any PDF before sharing.
- Quizlet is a website and app for
- iPad. Create flash card decks or search for one that's already been made.
- Socractive.com works great on iPads. The teacher creates an account and can make quizzes. Assessment data is stored as an Excel document for you.
- Create quizes in Edmodo.
Want to do similar things on an iPad on a laptop? Check out this chart with apps and their website equivalents.
iPad as the Teacher's Pet
- There are many apps that help a teacher be a better teacher!
- See them all in this graphic.
- You could search the App Store. But it's not always the best place for teachers to find quality apps.
- Search Google and see if a teacher has written about the app. Example: iPad 4th grade fractions
- Browse through the teacher-curated website Appitic.com.
- Search Pinterest. See Tony's Pinterest boards by subject area.
- Search Twitter for the keyword #iosedapp or #ipaded.
- Visit EdShelf.com.
- Tony's list of lists of apps.
- The TCEA list of 1000+ apps sorted by grade levels and subject areas.
App List for Today:
- Adobe Reader
- Comic Maker
- Comic Touch Lite
- Funny Movie Maker
- Google Drive
- Google Maps
- Haiku Deck
- Pic Collage
- Popplet Lite
- Puppet Pals HD
- Remind 101
- Stage Whiteboard
- Sock Puppets (K-2 only)
- Toontastic (K-2 only)
- Little Story Maker (K-2 only)
- Up in Pieces (K-2 only)