Going Mobile to Empower Learners and Reach Standards
Pima Summer Institute 2013
Common Core is being put into practice at the same time as tablet computers and smart phones are becoming mainstream in today’s classrooms. In this session, teachers will learn to harness the distinctive capabilities of the iPad to meet learning objectives. Communicating, collaborating, critical thinking, and creating will be the focus of the apps and activities used. Model lessons will present a variety of workflows–that is using a variety of apps to accomplish a task. The session will involve creating a collaborative eBook, recording narrated slideshows, making simple movies, and designing effective presentations.
This full day session will provide teachers (3-12) information to:
use some of the hottest iPad apps like StoryKit, 30hands, Videolicious, Haiku Deck, and Educreations
explore various ways students can share and publish what they make on an iPad
develop an understanding of how to integrate mobile devices into the flow of the classroom
- 8:30-10:00 QR Codes, Keyboarding, Edmodo
- 10:00-10:15 Break
- 10:15-11:30 Comics, Collages, Animations, Screencasts
- 11:30-12:30 Lunch
- 12:30-2:00 Books, Reading, Annotating, Slideshows
- 2:00-2:15 Break
- 2:15-3:30 Tips, Quizzing, Word Clouds, Audio
- Scan QR codes with i-nigma app
- Create QR codes at goqr.me
- 75 Ways to Say Good Job QR Code Enabled Poster
- Tony Vincent's video about QR codes
- Edmodo.com works on PCs and tablets.
- Edmodo app allows for uploading photos, videos, and other files from iPad
- Collect Student Creations with Edmodo video
- Our Group Code is m9hfc6
- Use a photo as the background and add speech and thought bubbles in Comic Touch Lite.
- Strip Designer is $2.99. You can make multi-panel comics.
- Pic Collage app is great for combining images and text.
- Easily collect text, images, videos, and web links into one digital wall.
- Read or watch lots more about online sticky note walls in Tony's video.
- Funny Movie Maker is free. Pick a photo and then record your lips speaker. Your lips are placed on top of your photo.
- Puppet Pals HD is free, but you'll want the Directors Pass for $2.99 so that you can use your own images as puppets and backgrounds.
- Educreations is free and records what you draw and your speaking. The movies are saved on educreations.com.
- Tellagmi is free. Select a background and then make an avatar speak in front of it. Limited to 30 seconds. To make a longer video or to change backgrounds in the same video, make a series of Tellagami videos and stitch them together using the Splice app.
- Wonderpolis.org is great for nonfiction selections. They are short and include vocabulary lists.
- Save a website as a PDF using WEB to PDF+. Place it into your Dropbox and share the link as QR code for quick student retrieval.
- Open the PDF in PaperPort Notes so that it can be annotated.
- Make simply and beautiful slideshows with Haiku Deck.
- Import images into 30hands where you can record audio for a series of images. Export as a movie to the Camera Roll.
- How to take a screenshot
- Save images in Safari by touching and holding the image. Tap the Save button that appears. The image is saved into your Camera Roll/Photo Library/Photos App.
- Zoom the screen
- Turn on Speak Text in Settings > General > Accessibility
- Guided Access locks iPad into one app
- AirServer for Mac or PC to wirelessly mirror iPad's screen to a computer
- Zwipes microfiber clothes for clearing fingerprints from the screen
- 3 pack of styluses for $1.20 with free shipping
- Socractive.com works great on iPads. The teacher creates an account and can make quizzes. Assessment data is stored as an Excel document for you.
- Word clouds can be a great way to practice critical thinking. Ask the questions "What's going on here?" and "What do you see that makes you say so?"
- Create word clouds at Tagul.com if you're on a PC. Use WordItOut.com on an iPad.
- Record up to 30 seconds of audio and share as a web link using Croak.it.
- Easy way to make 60 second video summaries.
Come to Arizona K12 Center's Mobile Learning Experience 2013 in Tucson September 16-18. Save $200 is you register by July 12!