Download Tony's 34 page booklet, Podcasting for Teachers & Students.
A podcast is audio or video on the web that can be cataloged and automatically downloaded.
- Grammar Girl's Quick & Dirty Tips for Better Writing
- What Would Happen If...
- Kalculation Korner
- Radio WillowWeb
- Our City Podcast
- Halls of History
What makes a good podcast? Wallwisher wall.
- Zip file with 50 short musical pieces (or download individually on the right side of this page)
- Copyright Friendly Music & Sound Listing
- Guide to Making Your Own Sound Effects
- Myna: Make Your Own Music Online
Post by email for free with Posterous.
Posterous is free of charge. Currently you can use up to 1GB of space, which is enough storage for more than 20 hours of audio and should be plenty for your podcast. I have been using Posterous for my TonyVincent.info podcast. Each episode is a short reflection on what I've learned that day. It's actually recorded and emailed from my iPod touch. You can listen online at tonyvincent.posterous.com. Notice how Posterous includes an audio player so visitors can listen in their web browser.
Listening in a browser is great, but many may want to listen using iTunes. Each Posterous blog has a web feed that can be used to subscribe with iTunes. The feed icon is on the blog's main page. Right-clicking the icon and copying the link and then pasting it in iTunes under Advanced > Subscribe to Podcast is one way to subscribe. That is probably too many steps to explain to students, parents, or whomever your audience is. Instead, here's how you set up a one-click subscriptions:
- Create your Posterous account and email your first audio file.
- Go to your Posterous blog and right-click the web feed icon . Copy the feed's URL, which is something like http://yoursite.posterous.com/rss.
- Paste the link into your classroom or school website. Change the http:// to itpc://. The itpc:// tells web browsers to launch iTunes and subscribe to that feed. When visitors click itpc://yoursite.posterous.com/rss the latest episode begins to download and future episodes will be downloaded automatically. Test this out by clickingitpc://tonyvincent.posterous.com/rss.
Watch how to get Posterous' web feed into iTunes (starts at 6:26)
Post video podcasts for free at Podomatic.com.
Search Google for podcast rubrics, evaluations, assessments.