Hopi Elementary School
February 5, 2014
12:45-1:00 Opening & Review
1:00-1:30 Narrated Slideshows
1:30-1:50 Google Drive
1:50-2:30 Digital Books
2:50-3:00 Graphic Organizers
- Touch and hold to save an image on a web page.
- Get public domain images at openclipart.org and pixabay.com.
- Add audio recordings to a series of images using 30hands.
- Skip the step about signing in.
- When saving, save to your Camera Roll.
- Images could be photos you have saved from other apps like Pic Collage.
- Tony’s “Disgusting” example was made by first creating slides in Haiku Deck and taking screenshots of each slide.
- After saving to the Camera Roll, open the Photos app and you can trim off the 30hands logo at the end of the video by dragging the marker near the top-right of the screen.
- Use the Google Drive app to upload videos, photos, and files to your account.
- After they are uploaded, you can share your videos, photos, and files. Google Drive gives you a URL to copy.
Steps for Making Any Video in Your Photo Library into a QR Code
- Open the Google Drive app and sign in.
- Click the Upload button (on left side, near the bottom of the screen).
- Click the + button.
- Choose Upload Photos or Videos.
- Click Camera Roll and select your video.
- Click the blue check button.
- Wait for the upload to complete.
- Click the i to the right of the video.
- Click Get link.
- Open Safari and go to goqr.me.
- Click the URL tab and paste into the box.
- Now you have a QR code you can display or download and save!
- Book Creator Free lets you make books that contain text, images, and audio recordings.
- The free version is limited to editing one book at a time.
- When one book is done, you open it in iBooks where it is saved there (but you cannot edit it).
- Because you get to work on only one book, to start a new one, you will need to delete the pages of the current book and replace the cover and pages with the next book's content.
- Need drawings in your book? Take a photo of a drawing on paper or try using the Hello Crayons app.
- Read about making a book with Book Creator.
- Book examples: Batak House, APPlied Poetry, Exploring the Titanic.
- Use Book Creator’s Open In… option to open the book in Google Drive. After it’s in Google Drive, you can share the link and make it into a QR code.
- Instashare: Copy files directly to another iPad without emailing or uploading to Google Drive.
- Required Bluetooth to be turned on.
- You must know your iPad’s name so others can send to it.
- Works with many apps that have the Open In… feature.
- Instashare isn’t always reliable, unfortunately.
- Holt Interactive Organizers are fillable PDFs.
- Open these PDFs in Adobe Reader so you can fill them in.
- Filled PDFs can be emailed, uploaded to Google Drive, or Instashared.
- “We do not learn from experience… we learn by reflecting on experience.”
- Get a random reflection question at tonyv.me/reflect.
PAID APP PREVIEWS
- Explain Everything: A recordable whiteboard (like Educreations). You can import videos, record on different slides (without having to re-record the whole thing), and save to the Camera Roll.
- Stick Around: Design, play, and share matching, sorting, and labeling puzzles. See example puzzles at pinterest.com/stickaroundapp
Notes from October 2, 2013
- Pic Collage app
- Combine text and images to convey meaning.
- See collages by second graders about natural resources around their school.
- Read about third graders using Pic Collage for acrostic poetry.
- Read about kindergartners using Pic Collage to show and write about transportation.
SHARING IMAGES & MOVIES
- Send students to a Padlet.com wall.
- Teachers signs up with a free account. Students do not need accounts.
- Create as many walls as you'd like...one to collect each kind of project.
- Students can only post text, web links, photos, and videos. They cannot post PDFs, PowerPoint, Word, or other files from an iPad.
- When you set up a wall, it's best to change the Format to Stream and turn on Moderation.
- Watch Tony's video all about Padlet.
- Here's our Padlet for collage: padlet.com/wall/hopicollage
- Funny Movie Maker app
- Choose a background image, cut out a mouth area, record your mouth talking, and save as a movie.
- Read bout talking book covers.
- Watch the talking triangle example.
- Read about talking spooks.
- Read about and watch an Eric Carle inspired funny movie .