June 4, 2010
Podcasts can help build background knowledge.
iTunes U is another source for audio and video.
iPod touch will play video in .mp4 or .m4v format.
Create playlists to organize audio and video on iPod touch.
Browse the web with Safari.
- Save an image from the web by tapping and holding the image until the Save option appears.
- Saved images can be found in the Photos app.
Cut, copy, and paste by tapping and holding your finger to the screen.
Create a jigsaw puzzle from any image using Up in Pieces.
- Vocabulary Puzzle 1
- Vocabulary Puzzle 2
- Vocabulary Puzzle Original Keynote Document
- Best puzzle size is 320 pixels by 400 pixels.
Create and practice flash cards using iFlipr ($2.99).
- Type your flashcards online at iflipr.com.
- Be sure to share your flashcard set.
- Include a unique keyword so students can quickly find your flashcard set.
Draw using iDoodleIt.
Make something you want to remember the iPod's wallpaper.
Download Tony's numbered wallpapers.
Use Google Forms to collect predictions.
PollEverywhere is also a great free option for collection up to 30 responses.
Look up words with the Dictionary.com app. It's also a thesaurus.
Locate the setting of a story using Google Maps.
Take a screenshot by holding down the Sleep/Wake button and then pressing Home.
- The image is saved in the Photos app.
Create frame-by-frame animations with Sketchy ($0.99).
Record reflection with voice memos. You'll need to attach a microphone.
Dragon Dictation can be used to convert spoken words into text.
- A microphone is required.
- Copy and paste the text into any app.
SimpleMind Xpress is a simple mind-mapping app.
- Co-create maps that describe characters in the story.
- Create cause-and-effect and sequence maps.
Narrate a sereies of photos and turn it into a video using SonicPics ($2.99).
Set alarms in the calendar as reminders.
The Random Activity Generator ($2.99)
Remotely control your computer with Air Mouse.
Perform a Power Search to search only free apps.
Other places to find apps and reviews are:
Dos and Don'ts
- Read Tony's blog post.
- Read Tony's blog post.
Skype October 25, 2010
- Google Form with questions: tonyv.me/g2
- Chat Room: todaysmeet.com/taste
- Learning in Hand Podcast #23 and Handouts for Collecting and Organizing Voice Memos
- K12 Online Conference in iTunes U
- Project Based Learning in Hand
- Quizlet.com for flash cards. No app to download.
- Thesaurus web app: tonyv.me/t
- Atomic Web Browser Lite - tabbed browsing and search on page
- Lune Poetry Web App: tonyv.me/lunes
- Bump for transferring photos and contacts (requires WiFi)
- Create your own custom dictionary using the Contacts app. First name is the word and definition goes in the Company field. Add any saved image or photo to accompany the word.
- Doodle Buddy for drawing and saving images
- Idea Sketch is a great free concept mapping app.
- StoryKit for making storybooks. See Tony's Vice President example.
- InAWorld...Drama for story starters
- Search Twitter for #edapp to see the latest finds.
- Attend the Mobile Learning Experience in Phoenix, Arizona April 6-8, 2011