Soft Reset #17: Mobile Internet is now online. There are a growing number of tools to make the Mobile Internet a friendlier place. In Soft Reset #17 Tony and Mike discuss using the Web on handheld computers and mobile phones. Searching, blogs, news feeds, bookmarks, and homepages are the topics. Although the focus is WiFi connections, accessing the Internet through Bluetooth is also addressed. Be sure to listen for the intro and outro voice--it's someone that knows Mike very well.Enjoy the show! Click an icon below to listen or subscribe.
- Tony's Tip: WiFi connections eat up battery life. Turn it off when not in use.
- Mike's Tip: Don't have a WiFi enabled handheld? There are WiFi expansion options for most handhelds.
- The Mobile Internet is a collective term for websites and services that are formatted for the smaller screens of mobile devices, like cell phones and handhelds.
- eSchool News ETS Poll.
- Thunderhawk and NetFront browsers ($).
- Wapedia.org, the mobile version of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia anyone can edit.
- Mobile Answers.com - Dictionary, Encyclopedia, and much more.
- Enter a web address and let Google format the page for a mobile device: www.google.com/xhtml.
- Search blog posts with mobile.technorati.com.
- Skweezer.net also formats any site to a handheld-friendly format.
- Bloglines RSS aggregator has a mobile version.
- Use TinyUrl.com to make long web addresses much shorter.
- Mob5.com let you set up a free handheld-friendly homepage, complete with text, images, and links. Go to mob5.com/softreset on your handheld for mobile web links.
- Winksite.com also lets you set up a mobile homepage. Winksite has more features, including RSS feeds, forums, chat, and surveys. However, it doesn't let you include images or text formatting like Mob5.com does. Go to winksite.com/vincent/hand on your handheld for the mobile version of Learning in Hand.
- Bluetooth Access Point Review.
- Visit Soft Reset's Discussion Forum to discuss the show!
- Leave a voicemail for us to play on the show! 206-333-1942
- Email Tony and Mike at email@example.com.